It’s no news that about 30% of the people in L.A. are part of the entertainment industry, and the remaining 70% are trying to get into the entertainment industry. If you come to L.A., prepare for your Uber driver to be an aspiring singer and your waitress at the café to tell you about her uncredited guest appearance on a show you’ve never heard of.
Oh, and everyone is auditioning. Like, constantly. If you’re thinking of moving to L.A. to make it big, you better be ready to try and outshine nearly anyone within earshot.
If you're an original Angeleno, you don't call it "showbiz," nor "the entertainment industry" – it's "the industry." If you want to try and pass as a local, we highly recommend that you stick to this term at all times!
They'll know exactly what industry you're referring to as they sign up for another casting call. They will easily mistake you for one of them never knowing you may have meant the carpentry industry or the oil industry.
L.A. Traffic Is, Like, the Worst
One of the city's most notorious identifiers, which causes quite a bit of distress to the exhausted locals, is traffic jams. Like, a lot of them. Let's just say: if you've never driven a car in Los Angeles, don’t dare talk to Angelenos about bad traffic (if you want them to continue liking you, that is).
For people who live in the city, spending hours in traffic on their way to and from places is just a normal (albeit sucky) part of their daily routines.
L.A. City vs. L.A. County
This one's a shocker: did you know there's actually a difference between the city of L.A. and the county of L.A.? Obviously, the city is a part of the county (some say, the best part of it); but they are not one and the same and locals would be appalled by the thought of you getting the two confused.
Places like Santa Monica and even Beverly Hills are actually not part of the city of L.A., peeps. Who would have thought?
When someone becomes an L.A. local, they have to recite a pledge of allegiance, part of which requires them to claim to know the best sushi in the area. One place to swear by is a culinary L.A. gem known mostly to locals — Little Tokyo, located in downtown Los Angeles (though they would definitely call it DTLA).
This traditional Japanese microcosm offers top-notch Sushi and mouth-watering noodles that are only second to the ones you can find in actual Japan, and we're not just referring to California Rolls. L.A. is one of the best places to taste world-class Japanese food.